I think you’ve probably all heard the phrase:
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.
Every journey has a starting point and starting is sometimes the most arduous step.
In our Small Step Series, I’ve given you some ideas that you can implement to help reach your goals. If you missed them, here’s a quick recap:
- Value of Consistency – It’s important to keep going once you start. Print a Consistency Chart and track your progress.
- The Ripple Effect – is something that we each create as we walk through life. Your actions affect others’. God’s plan and purpose for you ripples far beyond what you can imagine.
- Speak Your Dream – By speaking our dreams we give them life and we begin to believe we can pursue what we’ve only imagined.
- How Important is Grit? – Grit is the secret sauce! Period. It takes grit to make it to any finish line that’s a challenge.
- A Sense of Urgency – Deadlines help catapult us towards our goals.
So how’s it goin?!
Did you take that first step?
Did you print out the consistency chart?
Did you set a goal and break it down into more doable steps?
Have you started trekking towards your big goal by setting mini goals?
Or, perhaps you’ve faced some discouragement. Don’t worry, we all do. It’s part of the journey. Those times of discouragement or stumbles are what forces us to answer the tough questions:
- Are you serious?
- Are you determined?
- Are you willing to do what it takes?
There are struggles with any kind of goal setting. And that’s okay. I used to have a friend that wanted everything to be easy and I told her to turn her tv off. Commercials lie to you saying, “You deserve a break today,” and “You’re worth it!” Ooooh! Don’t get me wrong – you are worthy and you should get regular breaks… but the connotation is that you deserve to be pampered.
Newsflash – pampering yourself won’t get you to your goal. Sorry. It will take work.
Sometimes to get past the struggles, it takes this last small step that could make a all the difference…
Take a good look around you. What do you see? I’m not talking about the trees, the furnishings, or the immediate vicinity where you are. I’m talking about the relationships in your life.
The people you interact with the most, help to define you. Whether you like that fact or not, it’s true.
There’s a saying that goes like this:
Show me your friends, and I’ll show you your future.
I’m not sure who to credit for that phrase, but I think Solomon had the original idea. In Proverbs 13:20 he said:
Wise friends make you wise,
but you hurt yourself
by going around with fools. (CEV)
So who’s in your path? Who are the people you spend the most time with and influence you the most…
- Positive, uplifting, successful?
- Negative, judgemental, stuck?
Listen, there’s always going to be good willed people who will say the wrong thing at just the right time. That’s what happens when people get too comfortable with each other; our tongues get loose. That’s not necessarily what I’m talking about.
There will always be those people in your life that just don’t want you to be successful and hold you back – either consciously or subconsciously. Maybe they’re insecure, unhappy or unstable for this season.
Plain and simple – if you have a goal that is worth pursuing you need to surround yourself with good people who will spur you on towards your goal.
You need to be sure there are successful, motivated people around you. If you don’t have them, then find them. With the internet it’s easier than ever! Here are some ideas:
- Find or start a Facebook group that targets your interest.
- Find or start a Meetup group. If you aren’t familiar with these, they are groups that you can start in your community that are as exclusive as you want them to be. Meetups are becoming more and more popular!
- Get to know someone who is successfully doing what you want you are interested in. Befriend them, help them, be sure you bring something to the table and learn from watching them. (Don’t be a taker!)
The most important thing you can do is take that first step. Even if it’s a baby step – you’re headed in the right direction….. But remember, you have to start!
If you have a blog and you’d like to linkup your latest article just click the blue INLINKZ button below –
Take a minute to visit other great blogs and spend a little time there too!! Have a blessed week my friends!