It’s Tuesday! And believe it or not, that’s a difficult thing for me to remember…..
Without the daily reminders that a normal routine offer, it’s challenging to know the day of the week. In fact, we all seemed to lose track a few days ago as we prepared for Hurricane Irma.
Days and days of preparation for the hurricane ensued. Work places closed down. Stores closed. Familys gathered together. And we waited.
Here in South Florida we prepared for the worst as the eye was predicted to pass over us. A Cat 5. The worst. Then we were spared with the storm turning. Praise the Lord….But wait…
We don’t forget for a minute that our being spared means other suffer.
It’s a difficult place to be. Grateful, yet mourning other’s losses.
And so, these are the days of the aftermath, full of:
- Downed trees and fences
- Debris filled streets
- No traffic lights – (no electricity, hence, no lights) and the somewhat polite chaos on the roads as people “try” to observe the 4-way stops at intersections
- Generators buzzing through the neighborhood
- Neighbors in the street trying to get reception of their cellphones to let loved ones know they’re okay and check on those in the path
- Impromptu block parties – both for cleanup and cooking whatever we can find in the freezer
- Sweating through the night!
- Looking forward to the simple things – like electricity and a warm shower….Soon… (hopefully!)
- Swimming 15 times a day to cool off!
And these are the days we question…
- Why do we live here?
- What is God teaching me?
- Why do we do what we do for a living? Is it worthwhile?
- Are we helping others as much as they’re helping us?
- Is there something more I should be doing?
- How’s my attitude when I’m uncomfortable? Am I cranky? Do I offer grace knowing others are not at their best?
- Have I reached out to all those I love?
- Am I thinking of myself more than others?
It’s always good to take time to run through an self-examination. And these times where life has stopped for “emergencies” is not so bad.
Well, friends, I see I’m late in posting this week. My apologies as I lost track of time and realized it was Tuesday about 30 minutes ago! As I am sitting in a Winn Dixie parking lot to get internet, I’m guess by the looks of it, I’m not the only one here for the signal!! Crazy times!!!
Have a blessed week and remember to count your blessings!! Please pray for those who are truly suffering and seek to reach anyone in kindness. It spreads!!
If you’d like to link-up your amazing articles, I’d love to read them when I get to an internet zone!!! Thanks for continuing to stop by TrekkingThru! I appreciate every one of you!!!